Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I AM GRATEFUL TO BE A MISSIONARY - LANKWITZ [ BERLIN ]

26 May, 2014
Hey!!!

Well, it has definitely been a crazy week.  Monday Sister Bronson left for Tiergarten and Sister Cameron arrived.  That same night we met with the K***'s and Sister Cluff told little I*** that I was secretly a mermaid, so she ran into the kitchen to get a bottle of water.  Thank goodness she got distracted before she decided to test that out ;)

This past week, things got complicated in our trio. . . I have realized that I just have a hard time adapting to change.  It is hard when you get close to someone, and then they leave.  It was nice this week that we had a surprise party for Sister Kosak and I was able to see Sister Bronson again, Sister Darrington, and SISTER NILSON!  That was a surprise since she came all the way from Cottbus.  It was arranged specially so that she could sing :).  After a few hard days adapting to change, I felt like it had been showing in my countenance.  But after an hour of talking with these wonderful sisters I felt like I had my light back.  I was so happy and laughing.  It was especially good to see Sister Nilson again, the last time was in January and before that it was back in October when she left Hamburg.  Ha ha I think I must have hugged her 50 times and said "I love you" or "Ich liebe dich" just as many times.  President got a photo of us and we told him that he should let us serve together again.  That would seriously be the best thing ever. The past few weeks I have really thought a lot about the beginning of my mission and how lucky I was to serve with her and to have the experiences we did.  It was hard but oh so wonderful.

There were a couple of times this week that I seriously wanted to run away . . . Well, I didn't, and hey there are many lessons I have learned as a result of that.  Everything happens for a reason.  Everything works out with patience, time, and trusting in the Lord.  Differences can be overcome with a common purpose.  I think more than anything, my companions and I have really learned to rely on and trust in each other. I have really been humbled and I am grateful for how it has brought me to my knees in prayer.  I am grateful for the trials and how my patience has been tried.  These hard times only make us stronger.  My companions and I have helped each other come closer to Christ.  And because of such growth and experience, this has been one of the most successful weeks of my mission. 

On one night Sister Cluff and I found ourselves sitting out on our window sill/roof.  It was so quiet and becoming night, but it started to rain.  We stayed out there even when it started pouring, and my gray shorts turned black.  But it was one of the best talks we have had.  "If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place."  That's a quote by Eckhart Tolle that she has on her wall. 

So, really my testimony of God and Jesus Christ have becomed so strengthened this week.  I finished reading Acts in the New Testament and I am now into Romans.  Reading about the ministry of Paul makes me think of Abel from Langenhorn.  Paul was his hero.  I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am alive in Christ and I live through HIM.  It was especially cool reading about the ministry of Paul in Macedonia and Syria among so many places . . . I can list off several people I know from these countries . . . At the beginning these people received the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am a part of this great work now in bringing them the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  That is incredible.

Last night we were at the H***'s for dinner, and Elder Nelson ended up with the guitar.  We ended up singing all together several songs from  our pocket sized hymn books and the Spirit was so strong.  Especially "Ich Brauch Dich Allezeit" and "Näher mein Gott zu dir."  God lives, Jesus Christ is the son of God.  The Holy Ghost is real.  This church is true.  I love music.  That is all I can say.  I am so grateful to be a missionary.

Love you all,


Sister Heidi Elaine Shelley



Last Day together 




                                             Goodbye to Sister Bronson. I'l miss her!




This is lunch meat! I couldn't bring myself to eat it.








No comments:

Post a Comment